Just before you move, you should go through the following checklist and ensure you’ve taken care of everything on it.
- Have you arranged new utilities for your new house?
- Have you taken final meter readings and phoned them in – or will you phone them in on the first day the utilities are open?
- Have you informed your bank, mobile phone, and any other companies who regularly bill you at the old address of your new address?
- Do you regularly contract a gardener, milk delivery, maid service, or another third-party service that you need to cancel?
- Have you arranged a mail redirect?
- Have you turned off the gas, water, and electricity, if asked?
- Have you stopped all utilities and informed any tax or local authorities of your move so that they can adjust your final bill and have it forwarded to your house?
- Is everything packed, removed, binned, or accounted for?
- If you are leaving furniture, have you checked that there’s nothing in, underneath, behind, or top of it?
- Have you fulfilled any items that will ensure the return of your deposit (if you had one?)
- Is everything packed and marked?
- Have you paid, or do you have the means to pay for your new house, if required?
- Have you clearly explained or marked out any repairs required within your old house?
- Have you left any manuals you don’t need for appliances or items you’re leaving behind?
- Have you transferred things like your driver’s license, visa, passport, or work permit to your new address?
Once you’ve ensured you’ve taken care of everything, you can move on to your new house, knowing that you’re able to continue your life without fear of disruption, identity theft, or need to contact the new occupants of the house with your problems. You’ll also be able to relax and enjoy the move itself.